Thursday, September 1, 2011

Saved by Turkey Burgers

a Couple Spot out in front of a shop on Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands



One day on our Honeymoon the pre-wedding/wedding day stress and festivities caught up with me and I wasn't feeling too fabulous.. I took an afternoon nap after a hike only to wake up and see that Travis had created a picnic inside our lodge room. The grocery stores and restaurants don't stay open too long into the evening on certain week days in the summer on the islands, so Trav had gone out and purchased some goodies so we'd be good to go for dinner. I loved that and that moment realizing what an incredible man I had as my husband who was taking care of us and being understanding of a not-so-perfect wife who does not know a lot about cooking. Where was I going with this..? Oh yes - in relation to the spending freeze!

So, I will admit I was ready to fess up that I would be picking us up some Red Robin or other to go dinner since we hadn't done a full on grocery trip in a while or meal planned at all lately. In talking tonight about what to do, I saw we had 2 turkey burgers in the freezer and some other side dish items that would work. Travis grilled up the burgers, steamed the veggies and used his extra curricular cooking skills once again tonight. A man who can cook and enjoys cooking! Love him so much. (I'm quite a good dish washer and cleaner upper, so yes I do my part too.. I don't get away from kitchen duties so easy, wink).

I (we) did not spend one cent on eating out today. Fist bump from me to you! 

Back in April, I started to log our spending daily and look at it at the beginning of the next month. I was shocked to see how much we had spend on eating out versus groceries. It was super eye opening for us. In months since we are progressively getting better with spending and saving.. but for birthdays, bbqs, trips to see family, vacations.. you can't always be saving and do as much without giving yourself a break or 2 or 7. For me it is much more tangible to set a goal instead of totally going cold turkey on something. As long as the debt goes down and our savings can grow - I'm happy as a clam (never understood that saying.. how can you tell a clam is happy??). We've been hitting our main goal: spend less than we earn. Kind of basic right? If you spend more than you make - you don't have anything to show for it. But so many of us do spend more and want to have more. While there is nothing wrong with wanting a great life for yourself (whether that's a vacation, nice home or Red Sox season tickets), you have to be willing to go without a few things every now and then to make up for the past or current experiences. Know what I mean?

Anyway - day 1 success.. but I can't make promises the next 6 days will be like that! We are visiting the husband's family this weekend and if I wanna treat our niece and nephew out to a fun lunch and too much ice cream - I just might. I mean it is hard to convince a 7 and 9 year old about the feast that is a turkey burger.

PS: 2 days until the first Duck game of the season!! Lets go Oregon!

No comments:

Post a Comment