Monday, September 12, 2011

Wannabe Gym Rat

So there was a point this summer when I was going to the gym frequently enough, that the staff knew my name when I walked in. They knew which class I was heading to on a certain night. They asked how my work day went. I miss my little gym family. And in the last 2 weeks I have been to the gym this many times: zero. Womp, womp. Those who know me very well, know that I am quite hard on myself. I could blame the fact that it has been super hot out and I just didn't want to head out. I could say well we were on vacation one of those weeks, so that is reason enough. I could even say I just had 'too much' to do around the apartment and wanted to just relax in the evenings. But to me, those are excuses and I need to keep myself accountable. I kept track at work on a little calendar for July and August how often I was going to the gym and giving myself small 'rewards' for doing great (new gym clothes, cute Nike's). 

I have always loved being fit and athletic. Growing up I always wanted to be The Best. To toot my horn a bit for a moment.. I played softball growing up in elementary school (made All-Stars in my last year), played volleyball on a whim in middle school (made the A team my first go around) and played tennis all 4 years in high school (all 4 years on the Varsity team). To maintain sports activity in college I always took a p.e. class each term (kickboxing was my favorite) and played intramural soccer and softball.Toot toot!! I knew growing up I had a more athletic figure and felt good about it. I was physically strong, healthy and could keep up with the boys. ;)


When Travis and I went on a trip to Pacific City after his birthday 2 summers ago, that was when it hit me. I felt very out of shape and definitely did not have that strong gusto that I was used to having. If you've ever been to Pacific City, chances are you have seen the massive sand hill that lots of people try and climb to the top of. I can tell you I have made it to the top twice and the second time was a struggle. But I will share some moments of success from that day..
It is  hard to tell with this angle, but behind me is a huge, tough incline of a sand hill. Serious. Tough!
I did it!
He did too. :)
Well it's time to get back on track for September (and October, November, December..).  My husband is quite the avid runner these days (he does the fitness regime: Couch to 5K), and while I know that I do not enjoy running I love jumping, kicking, dancing, running on a field or tennis court. But you know what I love even more. A challenge. I will keep those goals going just as I had them in July and August. I know I can get back in the swing of it, I just let 'life' keep me from maintaining it. But, the gym will become part of 'life' again. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely do not want to be an orange woman with ginormous muscles - I want to be who I was before. Someone who was/is strong, fit, capable of running a mile without stopping to walk and constantly looking for the next challenge. 

Except this time, I have a teammate.

No comments:

Post a Comment