| This spot is at Camp Magruder. I took this photo while at the WUMC's Women's Retreat. |
Ohh Sunday. I love Sunday. Wanna know why? Well you were going to find out anyways. Without further ado: 1. It's the 2nd half of the weekend. It means to me "yes! I get another day to recharge." Saturday usually involves the errands, and the 'gotta get this done' type of activity. 2. Sleeping in and cozy breakfast with my husband. Sometimes due to work activity - Trav will have to work on Saturdays, but we almost always get to enjoy our Sundays together. Love that "lets take extra long to wake up" and just have a morning snuggle. Too mushy? 3. The third thing has been missing lately.. Church. We both love going to church, participating in worship, learning more about the Bible and growing together in our faith and our walks.
Before going too far, I suppose I should give a little background about my upbringing in this area. Growing up I knew that my mom was raised with a Catholic upbringing and my dad having a Methodist life (they were both super involved in their churches too). When they married they decided to allow their daughters to grow on their own spiritual path and make decisions for themselves in that area. *However, I do now know that both of my parents wish that as a family we had done more activities in a church (Catholic or Methodist) and had more of a background in church.* In high school I started getting curious about church and participated many times in friend's youth groups and became interested in learning more. When I was in college I can word it sort of like I "lost" my faith or put it on the back burner and did not give the necessary attention I should have.
It was not until after my Dad passed away (October 2007) I started to feel a "pull" to find a church and find out 'why' I lost my Dad. My first knee-jerk reaction was to get mad at God for taking my Dad, but in a way I felt a peace for him. No more pain. No more health impairments requiring pain, medications and sadness for him. He was able to see me graduate college! (probably one of the first actual prayers I can recall making.)
In my search for a church. I found a wonderful community in a Beaverton church. I became a Member of the church, I was involved, made so many wonderful friendships and bonds while attending that church. I was even a link in helping Travis get back to his faith and he too becoming a Member of the church and being super active in events and planning there. After attending for a few years we learned so much and wanted to learn MORE. We wanted to grow more and seek a community that spoke well to us. There are zero ill feelings to us leaving that church in search of a new 'home'. It is important to me that we are with other like-minded individuals (young married couples and families). We have been able to participate in other churches and have been in awe of all the amazing communities that are formed all over Portland.
Lately we have let ourselves be 'busy' and have not been able to make the commitment that we once had with church. Currently we both want to be able to make that commitment again. My hope is that 1. we find a great welcoming community that fits for us. 2. we are able to get involved in a small group. 3. we can become stronger and develop our personal faith more. Whether it's a small church or super big church - that doesn't matter. The core of what matters is loving one another and treating each other well. And that Jesus is a friend of yours and mine. :)
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11
Hey Shelby,
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure where you're located in the Portland area, but I wanted to let you know that I absolutely ADORE my church and highly recommend it to any and everyone who will listen. Door of Hope is located in SE Portland, and we meet on Sunday nights at 6:00 so you don't even have to sacrifice your Sunday morning sleep in! :)
Natalie
Cool. Thanks for letting me know! We are super Northeast - like in Fairview.. :) But we don't mnind a little bit of a trek to find a great community. And yes - I too love sleep! ;)
ReplyDelete