Monday, November 14, 2011

What's My Age Again?

 
 
26 years old. Sometimes I really don't feel like it, and still think I can pull off looking like I'm 18 when I wear a college hoodie, flip flops and bun up my hair. Don't get me wrong, I love that people often think I look younger than I am (I am told I will love this in my 30's). Lately I've felt like I'm in transition from 'young adult' to 'real adult'. Given, I have had a couple life experiences that not many of my peers have gone through, but does that mean I should "feel" older? A few weekends ago I was looking through my closet to clear out some clothes and couldn't let go of a few college hoodies and my favorite jacket from high school tennis (still fits!). I still feel like I dress and act like I'm in college; which wasn't that long ago. But I guess I thought growing up that once I was done with school I would all of a sudden become this 'amazing REAL adult'. But at 26, I still could have cereal for dinner, feel the urge to pat stray animals, Rollerblade and sleep in like nobody's business. 

When we got married, I felt this all of a sudden funniness that I was now a "Mrs." I absolutely LOVE being Mrs. Waltz - but I remember being little and referring to "old" people as Mr and Mrs. I wonder if anyone else feels like that when they get married? My husband is 5 years older than me and sometimes I tease him that he's 'old' and doesn't understand silly things but really he is quite mature and if anything has encouraged me to feel that I can be a grown up but still be who I am. Does that make sense? In my head it totally did.

This past weekend we ventured to IKEA. Well let me back up - it was a lovely Sunday date that T didn't even realize he had started. We had Sunday morning church group with our other 20-30 year old friends. Then went out to Starbucks for our weekend coffee habit. (Peppermint hot chocolate - delish!) Then went over to IKEA. I was easily one of the happiest wives (or Mrs.) in the store. I felt Full. Like my heart just felt Full. So much so, that I felt convinced to purchase this welcome mat for our little porch. Do you see the heart? It is super cute up close in person.

love ikea.
 But then part of the real reason we were there was due to cleaning out the kitchen on Saturday we realized that our tupperware was in really bad shape. Like the kind of shape that I would rather a guest not go home with left overs in it tupperware. So we decided to venture over and see the good deals and pick out some. (yes they are BPA free too - thanks for wondering!) But that was kind of a funny turning point. I was excited about new tupperware. New tupperware people. This is how I know I am growing up. Instead of purchasing the super cute chandalier just 'cause or the funky print of a skyline (husband could make an even better one at his work) I helped make a more responsible decision and purchase new kitchen supplies. 2 points for me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I feel like I'm in that stage of I want to stay fresh out of college just a little while longer and push off the 30's for just a little longer (even though they're already 4 years away). Many of my friends have newborns or little toddlers and I feel like we have our hands full with our 4 legged furries. I admire that we are all at different stages of our lives, but guess that's what makes us all different. 

I'm excited for what lies ahead though. The past 3 years with Travis have been pretty radical-amazing, I wonder what the next 3 years has in store. Hopefully I'll still be getting carded, he keeps chasing August and Weger, and we'll finish off our evening with a bowl of cheerios. 

No comments:

Post a Comment