Thursday, November 3, 2011

California Girl at Heart

simply put. :)
Around the Halloween weekend and for a few days after, Travis, my mom and I were down in Southern California. And I loved every second of it! We started out in Redondo Beach (SW Los Angeles and next to Palos Verdes). My dad grew up in Redondo Beach and basically lived in the same house his whole childhood and until recently, my Grandpa was still in that house! That's over 50 years people in the SAME house (remember my house commitment phobia? I think this helps my case.). Do to some unexpected health setbacks and such, my Grandpa now lives in quite the community among a few other older folk (he has a girlfriend?!) in a cute home not far from his 'before' house. While it has been hard to adjust for us up here 800+ miles away to the changes that feel like they have happened so fast, it seems that life really is not that bad for my Grandpa. The staff is super sweet and make good food and watch college football. I'm a-okay with that.

The above photo was taken outside his new place after a lovely fall walk in the neighborhood with my Grandpa. I hope that when I am a few years into my 90's that I still have the humor and stories that Harold Self has. What a cool guy. :)

Moving onward and further south - it was off to San Diego. Travis and I rattled off many Anchorman quotes on the 1.5 hour drive down. We stayed with my mom's sister - Kea. Love my aunt! She is so cute, spunky and intelligent. I hope that Emmanuel, Carmen and Leandra think of me that way one day.. (between you and I - I think they think I'm the 'fun' one)! 
seeesters. So cute.

The big event while in San Diego was to get to Sea World (for the obvious being that dad - and mom and Kea and my O'pa worked there). But this is where my parents met, worked while dating and worked as they were newlyweds. Sea World was such a huge accomplishment for my dad. I am so proud of everything he did there. And it was even more incredible to share it with Travis and allow him to experience many of the activities that my dad did and helped get started in the animal training down there.


we have a photo nearly identical to this, but my dad is in a red jacket.
I love sea lions. :)
they still ride the dolphins like dad did!
gorgeous.
We look so fresh and cute in the first photo, then just 3 minutes into the whale show and sitting in the 2nd row of the Soak Zone.. take a look at the next photo.. 



 
mom and me. (pre-soak zone)
I loved that day. It was beautifully sunny, 80 degrees, we enjoyed a place super near and dear to my family's heart, the food was delicious, the roller coaster a blast and at the end of the day - I wanted to do it all over again!! But - we didn't. We celebrated Halloween by going to the beach. We walked around the Carlsbad area and enjoyed a scrumptious breakfast at the Daily News Cafe (which I kept calling the Daily Planet). They have a red telephone booth a la Superman too.
;)
As we searched for a cozy spot on the beach we saw a pod of dolphins!! Look close below, see the little dark spot? That is one of their fins. It was super hard to capture it on our digital camera (they swim waaay faster than "little Shelby" ever did at 7 years old). 

At the end of the trip, I realized just how much family means to me and what I want to be able to teach our future family what it's all about. Of course, we will see 'where' our home is - whether that's in a house that we live in until we're gray and wrinkly or one of many homes we'll have. Wherever he is that's where I want to be. <3

lattes, flops and the ocean = perfect.
Until next time - love you California!

No comments:

Post a Comment