Sunday, October 16, 2011

I Am From..

I am from David & Cynthia, before that Harold & Catherine and Gregory & Amelia.

 I am from my sister Summer. 


I am from games of Chutes and Ladders, Candyland and Checkers with my Dad.

I am from leggings, saltwater sandals and side ponytails.

I am from baseball, tennis and surfing.

I am from riding bikes, slides and swings until 9pm in the summer time.

I am from taco nights, barbecues and pancakes for dinner for fun.

I am from amazing Thanksgivings with the family and memorable Christmas mornings with my parents and sister.

I am from practice, practice and more practice until you feel satisfied with your efforts.

I am from the love of Jesus.

I am from braces, awkward moments and sun bleached hair.
I am from N SYNC songs on repeat, trying to get my crush to notice me and girl pow wows after school.

I am from sleep overs, truth or dare and prank phone calls.

I am from seeing a husband love a wife the way any man should who has daughters.


I am from first boyfriends, first kisses and broken hearts.

I am from study hard.

I am from laugh and love life with all your heart.

I am from Homecoming dances, late nights and early mornings with my favorite girls.

I am from tennis matches, tennis skirts and (my fav) tennis hoodies.

I am from soft blankets, peppermint hot chocolate and long talks with Mom.

I am from learning how to do things myself.

I am from dreaming of success and waking up to work hard at it.

I am from the looks of my Mom but character of my Dad.

I am from a hard earned education and am quite proud of every ounce of it.


I am from 345 N. Monmouth Avenue for 4 years, before that 18 years in the same house growing up!

I am from personal challenge, personal strength and personal growth.

I am from "American Girl" (Tom Petty), "The Middle" (Jimmy Eat World) and Beach Boy songs on repeat (because of Dad.)  :)

I am from birthday parties, graduations and weddings.

I am from hard times, losing my Dad and understanding how those moments build character.

I am from treating everyone how you want to be treated.

I am from my husband Travis, unconditional love and Friday night couch snuggles with our 4 legged kiddos.

I am from knowing that I will make a difference in someone's life and the world someday.

I am from the dream that one day I will be a Mom and encourage my children just as my parents did.

I am from the wind through my hair and the sunshine on my face.

I am from me and learning how to continue to grow and love the person I am.




4 comments:

  1. Love this. I used to do these poems every year with my fifth graders. Such an amazing piece of writing Shelbs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw thank you Mandy! :) I saw another blogger use a similar method of the writing and loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Shelby, you gave me an idea on what to do in small group. In yesterday's gathering we discussed the idea of how a person's beliefs and behaviors are molded primarily before their 15th birthday and with an activity like this we can reflect on just what has made us who we are. Fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great Josh! Totally feel free to use my example on here. :) Hope all is going great at WUMC!

    ReplyDelete