 |
| love this photo of him riding dolpins. |
 |
| in my Dad's Sea World days. :) look at him waaay up there! |
 |
| my Dad built the huge fence that goes around my parents backyard. |
I remember it like it happened yesterday. On Oct. 21st my Dad called me to ask how work was going and if I was watching the World Series. Dad and I loved watching baseball together - he taught me everything I know about baseball! After a great conversation and asking him how he was feeling - he just said "well I'm getting through it, but your mom is great at taking care of me." After "love you" and "g'bye" - I didn't realize that was the last time I would have a conversation with my Dad. After work on Oct. 22nd, I had an internal feeling that something was wrong at home (being Salem where my parents lived). I shook it off and made some dinner and started to relax watching tv. I got a phone call from a number I didn't know and it was the neighbors across the street from my parents saying that I needed to come home as soon as I could. Of course this sent a huge panic through my entire body. I gathered a bag very quickly and after another phone call from the neighbors and hearing my mom crying I knew something very bad had just happened. My boyfriend at the time was able to drive me home (the 45 minute drive felt like 20 minutes). Driving up to your house and seeing an ambulance and a car marked "chaplain" makes it incredibly hard to keep it together. As I tried to walk up the driveway past everyone to see what was going on, I was stopped by the chaplain saying that my Dad had passed away. That night was the most scary, sad and odd nights I've ever had.
 |
| my Dad is third from the right. He was on the tennis team in the '60s. |
4 years ago, my Dad passed away. He was an amazing man. I'm still trying to figure out how to convert the slide show we did for his funeral to file that is able to upload to YouTube. It's a pretty awesome collaboration of photos and music revolving around him. Below is the letter I wrote and read aloud at my Dad's service and somehow through ugly crying and kleenex I made it and was able to get through it. (Not exactly an easy thing for anyone but especially at 22 in front of a church full of people.)
 |
| my Dad with my Mom early in their marriage. :) |
"In thinking of my Dad the memories that quickly come to mind are my first tennis lessons, fun trips to the zoo as well as spending time at the beach. I remember the numerous episodes of Coach we would watch together, learning new silly jokes and listening to The Beach Boys music on repeat many afternoons when I was a kid. Not only is my father my inspiration for studying the health field, but my Dad is an admirable example of strength, courage and bravery. Unafraid to try new things and unexpected adventures he set forth goals and determination for himself. ~ And he did achieve those ambitions and dreams! Dad was always his best self – he was honest, true and always a first class man. No matter what obstacle would appear in his life, Dad always found a way to overcome it and be prepared for another challenge. My dad always faced these challenges and gave more of him to get through the hard times as it became more essential. He never gave up and I will always remember him presenting himself as a strong, protective and incredible father!
Most of all – Dad you are my hero and I love you so much!"
Enjoy the day today and always always always tell those you care about how much you love them. I think of my Dad everyday and so wish that Travis could have met him, that my Dad could have walked me down the aisle, and that my Dad could see the day (far in the future) that I am a mom and hold his grandchild. But I hold on to what my Dad did see me do. He saw me graduate college, he taught me how to drive, he taught me how to hit a softball, he taught me how to speak in front of people, he taught (tried to at least) me how to swim and he taught me how I should be loved by a husband through his actions to my mom. What an incredible guy. Miss you Dad and love you oh-so-mucho.
I love these photos! You look so much like your mom in the photo of the two of them standing together! I can't believe this was 4 years ago...I love how much your love for him comes out in all of this! He is smiling down on you now ;-)
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful tribute Shelbs. Your dad would be so proud of you and the life you've built with Travis--you are his legacy, and what a beautiful reflection you are of his love.
ReplyDeletethank you friends! <3
ReplyDelete