Let me just say I really don't like missing work. Many people try and fake a sick day here and there, but I have a terrible fear of bad things coming back to me so I play things honestly. And honestly, this week I was sick. In my past I would push through and battle through classes, work and carry on through life. But, having the luxury of sick pay to use, I will use it! What I have a hard time understanding though is that usually when people take the needed days off from work they are relieved or have no trouble forgetting about their work life while resting up at home. Someone please teach me how to be like that. I am the complete and total opposite. With my job I help co-run the office and job coach individuals who experience developmental disabilities and teach them office tasks. So pretty much, I feel like the face of the office when visitors or co-workers come through our front door.
Not being there makes me feel bad. Having done my job for about a year and a half now, I feel that I have the know-how of what needs to get done on a daily basis to keep everything flowing smoothly and swiftly. I love taking care of others and helping make life and work easier for guests, co-workers and supervisors. Plus I will admit that I love being told that I've done a good job (I don't think anyone can get enough praise on jobs well done!). When I'm not there I feel like I'm failing people who are coming for an answer to payroll, reaching a client, reaching a member of our office, processing paperwork that needs to get done yesterday now and mostly I feel like I am failing the individuals that I job coach. Sometimes I wish I could somehow do my work from home like many of my co-workers are able to, but then that means you are able to work from 'work' and at home. Catch 22. But, I get it - we're all human, we need to take a day or 2 to recover over things, but oh you know what I mean. I think. :)
But I had a few fun insights these past few days while sleeping half the day the past 2 days and going through hundreds of tissues (I wish I were joking when I type that!).
1. I never eat the chicken in chicken noodle soup. I always try to either pick it out before heating it up or just avoid the chicken pieces all together. They just are not appealing. Sorry Progresso.
2. When stocking up on kleenex, always spend the extra dollar or two for the super soft stuff. Your nose skin will thank you later.
3. Drinking 2 cups of green tea is something that I used to do daily and this week I have been jumping back on that wagon - YOU should too if you haven't. Green tea is super tasty with a little lemon if you need it. I drink tea just like my mom though - strong and super hot! :)
I especially enjoy drinking any beverage out of my new favorite mug..
| thanks to my Paper Source gift card! :) |
4. Cats are the worst in healthcare. Keep them far away. I love my girl August, but she would be the worst nurse. Good thing I was done with that soup - guess who decided it looked yummy when I turned away for a moment to lap up some chicken noodley carrot water. And my pillow? Yes that's MY pillow, not your new bed by my head, off I said.
But, I have a feeling I'm on the mend - when I asked my husband last night if we could go and get Sangria, he smiled and offered me red Gatorade and apple slices. Maybe today he'll have a change of heart - it is Friday right? :)
PS - Husbands, boyfriends, partners + friends: bringing someone flowers when they are not well is super sweet and even if we can't smell the flowers, they look so pretty on the table. I love my sunflowers. Thanks T! <3
I do the EXACT same thing with the chicken that comes in packages meals. Soup, SmartOnes meals, anything. It creeps me out. Ha! I hope you're feeling better! Being sick is the pits.
ReplyDelete